Thoughts on speed

I've always been a slow runner, and I've been ok with it.  I give myself props for getting out there, an "A" for effort, blah blah blah.  I did push myself, but it was always in the way of distance, and never speed. 

I got thinking about this last night in MMA class.  One of my biggest weaknesses in martial arts is my speed... or lack of it.  And this isn't a scenario where I can let it slide and get the "A".  As a martial artist, there are consequences to being slow, where in running, not so much.  There have been MANY times I'd have gotten (or did get) popped in the face because I was too slow in reacting.  I'm going to have to ask my instructor about what kinds of drills I can do to work on this aside from just practicing.  I'm afraid he's going to say plyometrics though.  He's very big on being explosive. :)

Comments

  1. Kudos on going the extra mile to see what you can do to improve! I envy your walking speed...I can barely break 15:00/mi and only for a mile or two if walking and no running at all. You're becoming quite the MMA machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you ae doing awesome. I am so proud you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts