Sugar Skull Sharpie Mugs

After seeing the Sharpie mugs on Pinterest, I thought I needed to try it.  I read a lot of different variations, and ended up going with the Sharpie Oil Markers.  They are more expensive, but from what I read, lasted better and were dishwasher safe.  (This has held true with these mugs).

My friend Sadie came up with the idea of doing sugar skulls, so the designs are original, and were done on the fly.  No pattern or tracing.  If you screw up, you can use alcohol to remove the marker before baking.  I also wiped the mugs with alcohol BEFORE I started drawing to remove any oil on them. 

After you get your design the way you want it, let the mug dry for 24 hours.  Then bake 30 mins at 425.  The higher heat is supposed to bond the marker with the glaze on the mug.  I used cheapo mugs from Wal-Mart for both of these.  Less than $2 a piece. 




Comments

Popular Posts