Smokies Trip


It's taken me a week to finally write this.  We got home last weekend, and it's just been crazy this week.  I think I might be getting old because I feel like it's taking me forever to recover from this trip.  Normally I'm not like this, but I think the combo of lack of sleep and lots of hiking just got me this time.  Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and I'd do it again in a minute, I'm just not bouncing back like I usually do.
Chimney Tops

We left the house on Monday, drove straight to Elkmont campground and put up camp.  We decided that because the forecast called for rain the next day, that we'd try to get a hike in that afternoon.  We decided on Chimney Tops because it wasn't far away, and the trail was only 4 miles.  (2 of which were straight uphill, but nevermind that.)  The views from the top were worth the climb.  We made it ALMOST to the summit, but decided not to go the last few feet because I just didn't feel comfortable with it.  After the hike, we made it back to camp in time to do some lounging around in the hammocks.  I swear those things were my best buy of the year.
Chimney Tops summit

lounging at the campsite
Tuesday we decided to go to Gatlinburg.  We ate a lot of food and shopped.  :)
 Wednesday was another day of hiking.  We got up early and drove to the Abrams Falls trailhead (about 45+ mins) to find out that it was closed due to downed trees.  grrrr.  Plan B was a short hike to Crooked Arm Falls.  I didn't even take any pictures here.  I inhaled a bug and spend the entire time coughing.  I know, lame.   We then drove to Tremont and hiked Indian Flats Falls.  This was an 8ish miler that ascends for the first 4 miles.  It is a great trail though.  You spend most of the hike on an old road bed following the river.  We spent a lot of time shooting pics here and generally playing around.  It would have been really easy to miss the side trail to the actual falls, but because it was in the middle of a switchback, we found it while resting :) We spent some time here taking pics and eating a snack, and then basically cruised the 4 miles back out.  That's the nice thing about going up.  You get to come back down.
climbing to the viewing spot

Charlies Bunion
Thursday was BEAUTIFUL, so we decided to hike Charlie's Bunion.  This was the only "must do" hike on my agenda. The trail book called this "moderate", but we decided after a 10 mile hike the day before, that this was "difficult".  There were a lot of places on the AT with really great views.  Greg is the water lover and I like the panoramic vistas.  This was definitely my trail.  Once again, there was a lot of climbing.  About 1500 feet, then a 500 foot drop to the Bunion.  The stretch of downhill was nice until you look around and see the ridge that you've got to climb back over on you're way back.  The views were amazing, and while I like to whine a little bit, I really don't mean it :)
After this hike we were pretty wiped out and decided to just relax on Friday and Saturday.  We got a hotel room in Gatlinburg (with a jacuzzi tub - woot!) and "hiked" around town.  Mostly hitting our favorite food joints and doing some more shopping.  I did end up getting some Vibram 5 fingers, which are REALLY cool.  And I also realized that I've completely worn out another pair of hiking shoes.  Time to go shopping again.  (I'm open to suggestions)  :)




Comments

  1. Bravo Zulu on your yellow belt, excellent!

    The hiking and camping trip looks so amazing! Very physical but peaceful too. One day I'd love to hike some of those areas (my uncle lives in Tellico, hoping to visit sometime). In that first pic, you're not kidding about a straight up ascent. WOWZA! Easy to see why you came home beat, but no doubt smiling and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts